カテゴリ:□Architecture( 56 )

Juliana Curran Terian design Center

d0079151_19495568.jpg
Juliana Curran Terian design Center
Art Space
2004-2007 New York,USA

369 Dekalb Ave. Brooklyn NY
Pratt Institute Brooklyn campas
website: www.pratt.edu

Architect: Hanrahan Meyers Architects
http://hanrahanmeyers.com



d0079151_2029845.jpg




The Juliana Curran Terian Pratt Pavilion is a new focal point for the Pratt Institute campus in Brooklyn, New York. The Pavilion will be used by Pratt students and faculty to showcase work from the Institute’s various design arts programs. Clad with stainless steel, and suspended between two existing industrial loft buildings on the main Pratt Institute campus in Brooklyn, New York, the project includes a glass entry area for the Pavilion and its neighbors, Steuben Hall and Pratt Studios. The new Design Center created by joining all three buildings houses 200,000 square feet of Institute programs. The overall new construction for the Pavilion and its auxiliary areas including the glass entrance and a new circulation bridge to the south, comprise 10,000 square feet. Behind the Pavilion, a new courtyard makes an outdoor room for informal meetings and classes in warm weather.

d0079151_2095581.jpgd0079151_2010929.jpg


d0079151_20173253.jpg
The Pavilion is clad with hand-finished stainless steel panels by Milgo Bufkin steel fabricators. The front facade faces north, toward the main Institute quadrangle and is all glass, with screens that pull down for rear projection to the campus, or to fully darken the space for slides or videos. The Pavilion will be mainly used as a gallery and for Institute receptions. To the south the Pavilion bridge ramps east and west creating a circulation zone that connects Pratt Pavilion, Steuben, and Pratt Studios. The bridge overlooks the new central courtyard.

The courtyard and Pavilion were designed to work together as a passive ventilation system. Windows on the south, courtyard-facing bridge facade open to bring air from the courtyard through the Pavilion and out windows on the north facade (see enclosed diagram).
Construction was complete in December 2006. Pratt Pavilion will officially open in the Spring 2007.

Fitted between the existing Pratt Studios and Stueben Hall, the new entrance pavilion by hanrahanMeyers Architects knits the two into a single 200,000 s.f. complex for nearly all of the school's design disciplines.
d0079151_20171612.jpg

Entry to the Design Center is underneath the projecting volume. One immediately becomes aware upon entry of the pavilion's situation, as what was exterior is now interior. Although the brick exterior walls are kept exposed, strip lights illuminate a gap between the new entry and the two buildings, making it clear that the space is new. Through a large opening is a new steel stair that provides access up to the gallery and the rest of the complex's spaces.


d0079151_20262691.jpgd0079151_20151837.jpg
[PR]

by another29 | 2007-06-24 02:45 | □Architecture

MARTa Harford

d0079151_10334643.jpg
MARTa Harford
Museum

MARTa Herford gGmbH,
Goebenstraße 4 - 10, 32052 Herford Germany

website: www.martaharford.de

Architect: Frank.O.Ghery





d0079151_10341867.jpgd0079151_1030239.gif





d0079151_10352590.jpgd0079151_1036689.jpg




MARTa Harford Image Models [Scale = 1:200] Frank.O.Ghery Architects
d0079151_10312454.jpgd0079151_10321870.jpg
[PR]

by another29 | 2007-05-30 10:22 | □Architecture

Kunsthaus Bregenz

d0079151_1531680.jpg
KUB
[Kunsthaus Bregenz]
Museum
1997 Karl Tizian Platz A-6900 Bregenz Austria

website: www.kunsthaus-brengenz.at

Architect: Peter Zumthor

The museum stands like a box of light on the shores of Lake Constance. Its inner light is ever-changing, depending on the type of exhibition installed inside, the time of the day and the color of the sky. The building was designed to catch light with all of its surface and then distribute it into the three levels of the gallery space plus the ground floor.
The glass skin is a free standing structure supported by a metal frame; it also protects the interior concrete tower from rain and wind.

d0079151_15533488.jpgd0079151_1549855.jpg
Between each gallery level there is a complete floor that is totally empty, a 'light plenum'. This is were the external light is collected and then spread into the gallery space below. The gallery floor is a box of concrete without a top: the ceiling is made of glass panels. The amount of light caught by the gap between floors is enough to display some exhibitions without the use of any artificial light, and frees the wall surface from the need for window openings.
d0079151_332224.jpgd0079151_3351095.jpg


d0079151_1616255.jpg
The visitor moves through the building in a circular way, either taking the elevator to the top floor and then descending using the stairs or the opposite way around. This circular pattern is a result of the structural configuration of the space. The floor slabs are supported by three interior bearing walls located at the perimeters of the gallery. It is common for the curators of this museum to divide each exhibition in three parts following the organization of the building, and at the same time the formal neutrality of the spaces allows the institution to change the quality of the space with each exhibition. However this is not a neutral building. Whatever concessions the space makes in terms of form and its straight forward circulation system are counterbalanced with the sensuality of the material and with the quality of the light.
d0079151_162111100.jpgd0079151_16212997.jpg
[PR]

by another29 | 2007-05-27 03:46 | □Architecture

National Kaohsiung Performing Arts Center

d0079151_20442776.jpg
National Kaohsiung Performing Arts Center
Museum

Competition Winner : mecanoo / Netherlands
website: www.mecanoo.com

The Governor of Kaohsiung, Taiwan announced that Mecanoo architecten has won the design competition for the new National Performing Arts Centre. At 100,000 m2 the National Performing Arts Centre is to become the largest theatre complex in Taiwan. An important source of inspiration for Mecanoo’s building design were the existing one of the world’s largest trees, the banyan trees on location. The partially grass and plant covered roof creates natural and efficient building cooling in the subtropical climate. The large roof also provides an informal public space where the city residents can stroll, practice Tai Chi, mediate or just relax. The design also consists of a concert hall of 2,300 seats, an opera house with 2,000 seats, a theatre hall with 1000 seats, an experimental Black Box with 500 seats, an open-air theatre and park design. Work on the 200m Euros is set to begin in early 2009 and to be completed by 2012.


d0079151_20511130.jpg

d0079151_20514881.jpgd0079151_2052168.jpg
d0079151_20525550.jpg
d0079151_20531057.jpg


Program: Theatercomplex 100.000 .
Location: Taiwan.
Architect: Mecanoo architecten, Delft.
[PR]

by another29 | 2007-03-31 11:31 | □Architecture

Paspel School

d0079151_1162071.jpg
Paspel School
Secondary School
1996-1998 Switzerland

Sutcanova 10,7417
Paspels, Switzerland

Architect: Valerio Olgiati

d0079151_1232055.jpg


d0079151_130492.jpg
Paspels school is a reinforced concrete monolith. The architect did not use right angles for the outside, so although at first glance the exterior geometry seems simple, closer study reveals a chain-like reaction of slight distortions that shroud the building in an air of strangeness. Inside, however each classroom on the first and second floors has two right-angled sides that make up the walls of cruciform access corridors. In sum, the school can be interpreted as an exercise in the phenomenology of perception.

d0079151_134431.jpgd0079151_1344245.jpg
[PR]

by another29 | 2007-01-03 01:15 | □Architecture

Gherkin

d0079151_11515472.jpg
Gherkin
Swiss Re Headquater Building
2001-2004

30st Mary Axe
London EC3A 8EP
website: www.30stmaryaxe.com

Architet : Norman Foster [Foster + Partners]
website: www.fosterandpartners.com



d0079151_1204941.jpgd0079151_6223056.jpg
SwissRe本社ビル、通称ガーキン。滞在最終日に会いに行けました。
遠目でも存在感あったけど近くで観るとさらに圧巻。

三角形ガラスを幾枚も組み合わせた全面ガラス。
内部がよく見えたので構造も観察しやすい。
ガラス壁面からセットバックし、側面のテーパーを
鋭角にカットしたスラブはその厚みを感じさせない。


d0079151_12152413.jpg














Floor plan
[PR]

by another29 | 2006-12-31 06:18 | □Architecture

Tower of London

d0079151_51011100.jpg
Tower of Londom
Tower
UNESCO World Heritage

Waterloo Block
HM Tower of London EC3N 4AB UK

website: www.hrp.org.uk



Her Majesty's Royal Palace and Fortress The Tower of London, more commonly known as the Tower of London (and historically simply as The Tower), is an historic monument in central London, England on the north bank of the River Thames. It is located within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and is separated from the eastern edge of the City of London by the open space known as Tower Hill.

d0079151_3477100.jpgd0079151_3472395.jpg



d0079151_3493381.jpg
The Tower of London is often identified with the White Tower, the original stark square fortress built by William the Conqueror in 1078. However, the Tower as a whole is a complex of several buildings set within two concentric rings of defensive walls and a moat.
The Tower's primary function was a fortress, a royal palace, and a prison. This last use has led to the phrase "sent to the Tower". It has also served as a place of execution and torture, an armoury, a treasury, a zoo, a mint, a public records office, an observatory, and since 1303, the home of the Crown Jewels of the United Kingdom.


d0079151_5214781.jpgd0079151_3523467.jpg
[PR]

by another29 | 2006-12-30 23:08 | □Architecture

British Museum

d0079151_12292168.jpg
British Museum
Museum

Great Russell Street London

website: www.britishmuseum.org


The first Montagu House was built around 1676 for Ralph, Duke of Montagu by architect Robert Hooke (1635-1703). It was damaged by fire in 1686 and restored by French architect, 'Puget', in the French style. In its time it was considered to be one of the finest buildings in London.



d0079151_12381911.jpgThe core of today's building, including the great south front, was designed in 1823 by Sir Robert Smirke (1780-1867) in Greek Revival style, but not completed until 1852. Its construction was prompted by King George IV's gift to the nation of his father’s library, known since as the King's Library. The new building was a quadrangle, built in the garden to the north of Montagu House. The southern wing eventually replaced the old building. Additional galleries for classical sculpture and Assyrian antiquities, and residences for staff, were added to the west wing. The east wing, the King's Library, was completed in 1827. Robert Smirke withdrew from the work in 1845, handing over completion of the project to his younger brother Sydney who was responsible for the Front Hall, the completion of the main section of the south front and colonnade, the forecourt and the railings.



The Great Court On 6 December 2000, Designed by Foster and Partners, the £100 million project was supported by grants of £30 million from the Millennium Commission and £15.75 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
d0079151_1305078.jpg
The courtyard was one of the lost spaces of London, hidden from public view since 1857. The relocation and opening of the British Library at its St Pancras site enabled valuable space within the Museum to be utilised to the benefit of the Museum's visitors.The Great Court increased public space in the Museum by forty per cent, allowing visitors to move freely around the Main floor for the first time in 150 years and visitors can now choose from a number of different approaches to the galleries. There is direct access west into the Egyptian Sculpture Gallery, east into the King's Library and north into the Wellcome Trust Gallery. Inside the courtyard, two monumental staircases encircle the outside of the Reading Room and lead to the Joseph Hotung Great Court Gallery, and the Court Restaurant. From the restaurant level a bridge link takes visitors into the upper galleries of the Museum.
d0079151_134260.jpgd0079151_1341581.jpg
[PR]

by another29 | 2006-12-26 21:13 | □Architecture

National Assembly for Wales

d0079151_22474814.gif
National Assembly for Wales
Civic
1998-2005 Cardiff,wales

Cardiff Bay Cardiff CF99 1NA
Assembly Switchboard:
0845 010 5500

website: www.assemblywales.org


Architect: Richard Rogers
Richard Rogers Partnership




The election of the Welsh National Assembly, the creation of which was approved by a referendum in 1999, was a turning point in the history of Wales. Its home, Cardiff's former docklands, is a striking addition to the local scene and a statement of faith in the regeneration process. Architecturally, the Assembly Building seeks to embody democratic values of openness and participation, while its highly progressive environmental agenda will estbalish a new standard for public buildings in Britain.
d0079151_2257591.jpgd0079151_22581119.jpg

The setting is the Pierhead, around a mile from the city centre and once the centre of the coal exporting trade that was fundamental to the rise of Cardiff. Nearby are the Victorian Grade I listed Pierhead Building and the new Wales Millennium Centre, which includes the permanent home of Welsh National Opera. The building has an open aspect over Cardiff Bay to the Bristol Channel. The idea of openness is exemplified by the transparent form of the building. Public spaces are elevated on a slate-clad plinth stepping up from the water level and cut away to allow daylight to penetrate the administrative spaces at lower level. A lightweight, gently undulating roof shelters both internal and external spaces, pierced by the protruding extension of the 60-seat Debating Chamber.

d0079151_2323286.jpg

A large, circular space at the heart of the building, the Chamber is defined by the dramatic roof form which is drawn down from the roof above to form the enclosure. The Assembly building will also include exhibition and education spaces, a café, committee and meeting rooms, press facilities, offices for the principal officers and a members' lounge. The servicing strategy is designed in tune with the varying demands of the internal spaces - air conditioning is supplied in the debating chamber, while the public lobby is naturally ventilated. Heat exchangers capitalise on the potential of the ground as a cooling mechanism, while the thermal mass of the plinth itself tempers fluctuations in the internal environment of the building. In this way, the design will achieve significant energy savings as compared with a traditional building. Hard landscape extends from the plinth to touch the adjoining buildings. This, together with a canopy of trees, creates a close for the Assembly and completes the jigsaw of new development in this part of Cardiff Bay. Neither grandiloquent nor lacking in presence, this is a building closely in tune with the institution it houses and promises to be the first major architectural landmark of 21st century Wales.

d0079151_231392.jpgd0079151_1856480.jpg
[PR]

by another29 | 2006-12-09 22:46 | □Architecture

Mercedes-Benz Museum

d0079151_3465515.jpg
Mercedes-Benz Museum
Car Museum
2006 Berlin,Germany

website: www.mercedes-benz.com
Stuttgart,Germany

Architect : UN Studio
website: www.unstudio.com


Client: DaimlerChrysler Immobilien, Berlin
Location: Mercedes Strasse 1
Stuttgart Building area: 35.000 m2
Program: Car museum, shop, restaurant, offices, auditorium


d0079151_3553782.jpgThe Museum’s sophisticated geometry synthesizes structural and programmatic organizations resulting in a new landmark building celebrating a legendary car. The geometric model employed is based on the trefoil organization. The building’s program is distributed over the surfaces which ascend incrementally from ground level, spiraling around a central atrium. The Museum experience begins with visitors traveling up through the atrium to the top floor from where they follow the two main paths that unfold chronologically as they descend through the building. The two main trajectories, one being the car and truck collection and the other consisting of historical displays called the Legend rooms, spiral downwards on the perimeter of the display platforms, intersecting with each other at several points allowing the visitor to change routes.

d0079151_413773.jpg
d0079151_422017.jpg

[PR]

by another29 | 2006-12-05 04:06 | □Architecture